04-27-2024, 09:20 PM   #81
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalatlas View Post
I'm in the Toronto, Canada area and it gets to about -20 deg C on winter nights, though not as cold as some Canadian provinces out west.

I got a CPO 330ix that came with a year of powertrain warranty, so I'm likely to stick with the 0w20 LL17FE+ that I saw on the car's history for the time being, but only to maintain the warranty coverage. But after that, I'll want LL04 or LL01 oil.

From all the reading I've been doing, I'm still leaning towards an 0W30. It sounds like 5W30 is suitable and there's only a difference of 5 deg. C in cold crank testing, but I'm concerned about the cold winters. I'll drive a little spirited occasionally, but no track and mostly commuting.

Pennzoil Plat Euro looked good, it's only in 5W30. Though this seems to be from Shell, which BMW recommended in the manual. Motul 8100 X Clean is also only in 5W30 in my parts, I can't seem to fine 0W30 even though Motul seems to make it because it's on their website.

My mechanic of many years, who is a BMW enthusiast himself and has had various Bimmers is very pro LiquiMoly. edycol seems to think it's pretty middling.

I was looking at the LM websites, and the LM Top Tec 4210 SAE 0W-30 (https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/ca/top...06.html#22158) seems to be LL04 approved, and has an HTHS >3.5. Isn't this pretty decent? Although I think I read somewhere that 0W30 oils are not LL04 approved, only 5W30 is...and this might be some shady advertising from LM???

My manual looks the same as cleanflow. I'm still a little undecided on what's the best option to go with, even [...]
LM doesn't mess around with approvals. I would use the LL04 0w30 in Canada

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0