Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I've seen my shots on personal websites before, but nothing commercial. And 1024x768 is too small to print, except maybe on a brochure. I've even thought about reducing the resolution in Photoshop before uploading, but that's just one more step in my workflow.

Someone at Flickr show program in an option to watermark all downloads. Maybe upload your watermark and have Flickr paste across the front of any downloaded image. That way people could enjoy your image on Flickr but not be able to steal it as easily.
All my stolen images that I've found have been on websites, where 1024p is plenty for most uses. You and I may think in terms of a 250 or 300-dpi print, but people use way less resolution. I've actually had someone strip my copyright out of the EXIF, add there on and put them up for sale, even adding little stories about how excited she was when this or that happened. That was a big lawsuit, but turned into nothing when she filed for bankruptcy. At least she took my stuff down.

I didn't know that Flickr had a watermark function in their upload menu. I'll look for that. As is, I only use LR to add the watermark. It's an extra step, but fast, Import, select all, Export (now that it's set up).

The big problem is, you need to spend a day or two every few months searching for thieves. I think that the Google Images reverse lookup is better than tineye, but both do their best if you use an original file instead of a link to a file. I don't understand why, but I get more hits with the original file.

Dave