View Single Post
      03-31-2020, 04:45 PM   #1
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sideways

M340i fake zorst pipes - cover up option?

So it's been a month into M340i ownership (and about 200 miles thanks to d'virus) and there are 2 things I really don't like:

1) The sound system. Don't get me wrong, the HK system is great, it's just that it drowns out the pops and bangs. Kids want to listen to Crab Rave (don't ask), and I want to time my pops and bangs to annoy pedestrians. Nightmare, but not important right now.

2) The fake exhaust tips.

I see there are full-on after market options available to replace the OEM pipes with quad pipes and what not (for many £ thousands), but my question is, I hope, quite simple:

Anyone tried to cosmetically improve the gaping... gap... that lies between the exhaust pipe and that monster oval tip? I think the main issue is the amount of daylight between the exhaust pipe and those oval surrounds. The bright silver heat resistant material on display doesn't exactly help.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 2837
Size:  219.8 KB

I understand that exhaust pipes move under load and the cosmetic oval surrounds don't 'cos they are part of the bodywork. As such, there has to be some kind of gap to prevent contact, but it's a heck of a gap. You could drive a bus through there - if you had a bus (?)

I have no intention of buying after market exhaust parts, but am pretty close to buying some aluminium cooker hood ducting and a rattle can of high temperature black paint.

Anyone found a better way?