View Single Post
      10-10-2020, 09:22 AM   #76
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

FWIW, I was mailed the JD Power survey form when I took delivery of my M240i. It is a voluminous survey that does ask many questions regarding ease of use and likes and dislike questions. I gave my 2'er sterling scores as it met or exceeded my expectations nearly every category.

In all honesty, if I had to complete this survey on a Model 3 (which I haven not driven nor owned), I would certainly have some negatives to say about the key less operation and the single information screen. I can say this just by watching the videos and reviews I've seen.

Making a change from a key fob to a CC sized plastic that has to be held against the car to open is not to my liking. I have a cell phone but do not use it except for emergencies, so it is turned off and is rarely on my person. Walking to the car (like I can with my Mini or BMW and touch the door handle to enjoy key-less entry entry due to the small fob in my pocket), the model 3 requires I carry my cell phone (on) to enjoy that same feature or have to pull out the CC sized passkey and hold it to the car (just like pulling out out the fob and pressing the button (for a non-keyless entry equipped vehicle) to open the door or inserting a physical key into a lock.

The single screen is another issue I will likely have issues with. Many will agree that having to go to the "Tablet" for nearly ever function in the car is something that takes some getting accustom to. I don't mind a big screen for information but will initially miss some of the "Simple Simon" buttons and dials we now have in our more traditional cars. Certainly, over time, a person will adjust, however, getting the JD Power survey so early in the car's life, will certainly generate many negative comments.

You can bet that everywhere on that survey where I can "ding" Tesla, on these "features" I would. Likely pushing it further down the J.D. Power owner satisfaction survey.

That being said, I personally like the Model 3, and think Tesla did amazing things in the short time they have been making cars. I will, unless the i4 or another EV meets or exceeds the Model 3 range and other advantages (like their battery technology and OTA updates), buy one. I will have to learn adjust to the things I don't like about it or look to another manufacturer.
Appreciate 0