07-25-2021, 05:16 PM   #6
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Have you tried to run the car and step outside to check under if something hitting? The last video is that a cold start because if so your assumption of the exhaust hitting something may be it since it fades away shortly.
Thanks for the reply!

The noise is only after the car has warmed up. Nothing when it's cold.

We are in lockdown in Sydney Australia so the dealer can't look at until August 4.

I'm not going to risk ramps or jacks but on a flat surface but I can slide under the car when its off from the back rear.

There is nothing like sliding under a car and getting 'up close and personal' and having your nose practically on the rear differential to take a look!

The exhaust is secure and it's not loose in any way.

From outside the car while mounted on a kerb with the engine on and with the noise present I've pushed the exhaust at different locations to see if it changes the noise in anyway. Nothing happens.

I did notice that when the sound occurs that I can put my hand on the fuel cap and feel the vibration, which makes me think that vibration from the exhaust or somewhere is passing to the fuel tank. The sound like like a gentle knocking of something up against the underside of the body.

Anyways, as a guess I gently moved around the fuel tank supports last night and went for a 40 min drive. In all the places I could provoke the sound before it was not there.

We will seek if it goes away for longer than 2 days.
Appreciate 1
premier3is1628.00