08-20-2019, 04:49 PM   #697
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I don't think it'll hurt 911 sales that much, but the C8 is seriously bad news for the boxster/cayman imo. It's neutered by a turbo 4 cylinder, it has less practicality. Not talking about power output-- the current boxster/cayman just sounds like you're driving around an econobox. Character wise, compared to a high displacement V8, no contest. Also, power. Also, dry sump as standard. Also, free of fucking turbos.

The Corvette has the same (amazing) value proposition as ever, agreed. But now it also has exotic looks, mid engine dynamics (and looks), and an interior that looks banging in pics (and everyone who's seen it IRL reports back that it's great). The interior looks good, full stop-- as in, not just "good for a corvette" or "better". Also, actual buttons for functions, instead of burying them in the ICE.

This'll almost certainly be my first American car, so they're pulling some people's loyalties. 6(!) of my friends also plan to get one, none of who have owned Corvettes or American cars before. I've never seen anything like the wide appeal of this things to people of a variety of automotive backgrounds. If you think this car isn't going to pull in customers from places Corvettes haven't before, I think you're deluding yourself.
Fair point on the 718. I think i might have even said the same thing on this very thread. And the Supra. Basically, automakers that put out half-ass products in this segment won’t have anywhere to hide with the Corvette around. I buy that.

Here’s some food for thought, though. GM sold 25-35 thousand C7’s a year. I’m too lazy to look up sales figures for each competing model, but i believe Porsches, M cars, Shelbys sold well from 2014-2017. How many C8’s are they gearing up to make? If they produce 50k a year will that finally kill the weaker competitive models?
Appreciate 0