Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebl View Post
Has anyone bought the 5Ds yet? I'm feeling the urge to go very deep into debt and knock off at least a few hundred points off of my credit score.
Always thought of getting a 5D iteration but always liked the crop factor of my 7D. I was contemplating the 7Dii and then the 5Ds came out.
Getting anything longer than 400 isn't ever going to happen so the crop will have to be my zoom. Maybe 5-10% of my shots are wide and very few per year are not wide enough.
I've been using a 5DS R for over a year now. I work with a two-body kit when shooting wildlife. I have a 7D2 with my 500/f4 mounted and my 5DS R with my 70-200/f4 mounted. I move the 1.4x TC-III back and forth, depending on subjects. For travel, I take only the 5DS R, unless there'll be birds and wildlife, then I take the whole kit.

The AF systems are essentially the same on the 5DS R and 7D2, but the 7D2 is way more responsive at 10-fps. The file quality of the 5DS R at higher ISOs is a little bit better, but nothing earth shattering. The two bodies have the same pixel-density, so you get the "crop factor" with either.

If I could have only one body, I'd think long and hard about the 5D MkIV, with improved AF. Until we see the tests, we can't be sure about IQ, but I suspect that it has better high-ISO performance than the 5DS R, but, of course, not near the resolution. The burst rate goes up to something like 7 or 8-fps. It'll be a great all around body, only missing that last degree of resolution.

I've printed 5D2 images up to 50", so I have no doubt that you'll be happy with IQ of the 5D4 up to that size. I have visions of printing an image from my 5DS R at 72", but, so far, haven't taken the image that would command that much wall space. Waiting... and hoping.

BTW, I've not had a single image where I had to remove moire'. The IQ between the S and the S R is very small, but I think that it shows in shots of feathers and fur.

If you go with the S, then be prepared for 80MB Raw files. It does, indeed, put a strain on your Raw conversion software and more than doubles your storage load vs. the 7D2 or even a 6D3 or 4. (The 4 wouldn't be a doubling). You'll want a processor up near 4mkz, 16GB of Ram and a fast video/image card. I think it's worth the extra trouble and expense.

Dave