View Single Post
      07-29-2019, 09:19 PM   #20
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Good feedback, New2Roundel.

What I found most interesting from your experience was the S58 performance. It seems they took what I didn't like about the S55 and made it even worse. Lol... what the...?

I saw the technical data on this new engine in one of the recent news threads, and noticed the delayed torque graph in comparison to the S55 torque graph. I thought to myself, "Why would they do this with the brand new S engine?" I was curious how it would translate to the real world, but based on your feedback it seems as bad as it appeared on paper. I get that M cars are "track cars for the road," but engineering them to only perform properly in the higher rev ranges on the track and leaving nothing for real world street performance seems like a failure to meet the end-goal. I just don't get BMW's desire to use an overly-complicated and heavy twin-turbo setup for their motorsport-inspired offerings, providing mega lag in the name of high peak output, while we have Porsche on the other hand who gives us a masterpiece of a 4.0 NA engine in their GT cars that can provide both snappy torque and throttle response across the entire rev range, while still providing a high peak output and much higher redline.

I will have to try the S58 for myself before passing final judgement, but it sounds like they need to go back to the drawing board on their bread and butter 6-cylinder S engines. Never mind the horrible noises they make!