06-05-2020, 08:42 AM   #38
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
I don't know, because I've only been following F1 for ~6 years.

Look, I agree that it's lost a lot of its intrigue with Merc's domination of the hybrid turbo era. But I'd suggest something like BOP before I'd ever agree to reverse grids. I'll also repeat my complete befuddlement at the fact that there's only two companies in the world that can make a competitive F1 engine. And if that's the case, then give everyone the same engine, and let them develop it as much as they want to.

Just because we have a legitimate problem doesn't mean we need a stupid solution.
Companies like Lotus and Williams, if they did things right had a legitimate chance of winning. I think those days are gone. I think the last 6 years have been some of the worst when it comes to the interest in the engine and overall race.

Spec racing (give everyone the same engine) does have its benefits but also negatives. Purists will never go for it, MB, Ferrari, Mclaren, Renault, also won't as only one would remain. I wouldn't do engines but do think some amount of "spec" makes sense, maybe transmissions (most would be amazed out how few options come on production auto's), maybe brakes, maybe some body parts. All cost reductions and loses some of the "pinnacle of motorsports", but for me I would like far more parity in the grid and something needs to change.