01-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #49
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Regarding infotainment, that ship already sailed with the E9x M3.
Luckily, those are still very affordable in the used market, but finding one sans iDrive and other creature comforts will be tougher.
Probably right. But... the way the screens are implemented suggests a blockoff plate should be so easy to do, even with a little stitching or something, then just don't install the module behind it and enjoy a 10lb+ savings and less distraction. Every BMW I've had with a touchscreen; I've both never touched the screen and almost never even looked at it, which puts it at odds with what it probably costs to put it in. These days the HUD/gauge pod is replicating the things you really need to see from the idrive screen.

It's not about finding one in the used market, it's about finding one that hasn't been molested and actually had proper maintenance done. If it were that simple I'd just have an E46 M3 again. But they're all bagged and behind on maintenance, even pricey ones. I've had 13 M cars, and I'm finally just exhausted when it comes to pouring 3-10K in right away to fix everything the PO neglected.