Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Health Insurance Question

I recently lost health insurance (well got kicked off my dad's health insurance plan) and have been looking around for health insurance. I just started a new job and can't enroll in the employer's health insurance until I have been employed with the company for 3 months. I had an organ transplant a couple of years back so not having health insurance is kind of a big issue since I've got about 6 different medications I take and have to get my blood drawn every month.

Out-of-pocket cost for just those two things is out of wack. Anyway, I went on Health.gov to see if I could get enrolled in a health insurance plan there. I picked out a plan from Blue Cross Blue Shield of IL. The total premium was $335/month. The deductible was $2000~ if I am not mistaken.

Anyway to get to the point, I had a question regarding the copay for medications so I called Blue Cross. The rep handed me over to a "sales rep". The sales rep somehow got my premium down to $22/month, $0 deductible, and no out-of-pocket expense for medications, lab work, etc. I'm like, "how tf did he do that?" He said I qualify for a "Premium Tax Credit". Not sure how that works. But, it seems too good to be true. I don't want to move forward with paying the premium and then get bent over backwards by the state.