View Single Post
      09-27-2020, 08:41 PM   #46
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCD1 View Post
What I posted is also a fact, and a current fact: CR rates the Model 3 quite a bit higher overall than the 3-series.

The Model 3’s predicted reliability (“average”) is also much better than the 3 Series’ (“much worse than average”)

So, if you want to use CR as a resource, the Tesla is the clear choice, even moreso when owner satisfaction is added to the equation.
Take a longer view. The current new gen 3 Series had start up issues for a new model in a new plant. This is typical of almost all launches. Prior years are not rated as such, and even in the detail, it is clear that most subsytems are two green arrows up with two exceptions. If Tesla had the same kind of issues BMW or any other OEM faces, it would have been a much different situation and they would have been resolved much sooner. Their improvement is only recent. Great that they are improving, but no overlooking the lengthy periods of poor assembly and the poor designs which Model Y is now becoming known for improving upon (other than sourcing Home Depot for engine parts).

As for owner satisfaction, that is hardly a relevant measure for others who are first considering a purchase unless they know that they have the same set of requirements and criteria for making a choice. The Tesla Model 3 owner body is a self-selecting group who has prioritized one of the motivations I mentioned in an earlier post over issues of quality they discerned but chose to overlook (as one Tesla owner-poster here has already mentioned) or they may have not noticed any of these issues or hoped they would be resolved or that they "got a good one". History is littered with low quality vehicles with high owner satisfaction because some other aspect of the vehicle excited the buyers enough to suppress concerns about quality....Dodge Viper, most Jaguars, and others.

As to making a choice, even from a static point of view, the choice was quite clear when I was in the market. Find me a BMW with hoods, fenders, and doors that obviously don't align, paint drip mark on a rear quarter panel, wrinkled headliner, rubber seals that don't align with the body. Those are not the kinds of issues established OEMs face with new launches. That is assembly 101, and they clearly failed.

I don't mind having this chat, but I sense this is more about defending your purchase than an objective review of Tesla's attempt to launch a new car company on their own. I am glad you like your car and find it satisfactory. Many did not share those feelings. I am glad they are improving. No value in rooting for them to fail. They had my deposit for almost a year as I was ready to trust them. They lost my trust when I saw what they were producing. If they do a better job in the future, no reason not to consider them again.

I think we've both made all of our points. Good luck and enjoy your car.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2