View Single Post
      09-30-2020, 11:11 AM   #55
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeMan View Post
Solid points and on par with how I feel about the brand!

Reading a forum is just as good as reading a magazine review or consumer reports. There is a reason why Tesla constantly falls off its "recommended list".

Valid points. A few takeaways.

Time and quality should never be associated in the statement. Think about it. Quality is built into the product, time does not build quality. Especially since panel stamping and automotive engineering have been around for a century. This argument can be made with new technology such as batteries and drive units as the processes were freshly developed. So with that said, Tesla QC will only improve when they decide to improve the process, not as time goes on.

As for the Tech, I agree, it's a tough road ahead for traditional manufacturers and they are at a clear disadvantage - they also have more lose than Tesla ever has.
My thought being that as assembly procedures improve, items like panel alignment, paint, etc., should improve over time. Also design issues can be addressed as more cars are produced. (Although GM and the Corvette are still plagued with cosmetic problems and design flaws).

I would concur if a company knows assembly procedures are sub standard or a design has problems and does nothing to improve them. I don't think Tesla operates that way. Often times it takes real world operation of vehicles to uncover flaws and faults (especially with a company as young as Tesla).

I saw a video of a Model 3 taken apart by Sandy Munro and recommendations made to improve assembly and quality. Tesla took that advice and instituted many of the recommendations. They would be foolish not to.

https://electrek.co/2020/04/08/tesla...sharing-parts/

Many of these improvements take time to implement. Redesign and manufacturing procedures have to be adjusted or completely redesigned, all while continuing to produce cars.

As with all car makers, problems in design or production are discovered and manufacturing is improved on the go. Buyers may get a car with the old design while later production will have the necessary changes.

I suppose we each have our own perspective on things. I cannot imagine any company that produces a product not wanting to improve quality going forward (if improvements are required) unless they are truly nefarious. I do not believe Tesla is happy with the complaints they are receiving and won't take steps to improve.

Just my $.02
Appreciate 0