View Single Post
      10-08-2020, 04:10 PM   #21
SeattleStefan
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaley View Post
FWIW and YMMV I've had my F32 flashed both ECU and TCU and have brought it in for standard service many times and my service agent hasn't said a thing.

It kind of depends on your relationship, as my service agent also suggested I tune and mod my car.

I own my car however but for standard service on a lease I would say look into your lease agreement, and if you are tight with your service guy, just ask him.

I hear JB4's and piggybacks can be undetectable but a flash your dealer when running diagnostics will see your flashes.
This.
Keep in mind too, most of the people working in the service department at a car dealer, especially a BMW dealer, are car people. They get it. Although the internet tells you otherwise, dealers are not out there to screw people over, they're in the business of creating and maintaining business first and foremost. As I said in my posts above, they make far more money from BMW for warranty claims than they ever would if you paid out of pocket. I would still Suggest to remove any traces of a tune before a warranty repair, especially if it involves the engine, but for services or any other type of warranty work (electronic or interior) you're good.

Also, general rule of thumb I've found in my short 27 years of life, Be honest. When you make an appointment tell them upfront that your car is tuned and if it would be better to remove the tune or keep it there or if they can avoid plugging it in all-together. I've done this for years and have built many friendships in the car world because of this.
Appreciate 0