View Single Post
      07-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #1
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
I have been thinking about getting a used F80 M3 before the end of the year.

I drive an M4 at the M driving event at my dealer in June and I have been thinking about that car ever since! I'd opt for an M3 as I need four doors.

My X5 Went in for service on Saturday and the dealer gave me a 2019 M340i as a loaner. Nice options - driver assist, driver assist pro, 19"s, HK sounds...

Anyway I wasn't quite sure what to expect but I have been nothing but thoroughly impressed with the car ever since I've had it - I have been blasting around enjoying it all weekend.

The performance feels like 90% of the M3 in a straight like. The handling feels a little softer and it does nit corner as flat as the M3, but honestly it corners pretty darn nice for a street car. I wouldn't track this thing but for a daily driver it feels like 90% of an M3. It has lots of little things that make the M3 feel unique it just doesn't have all of it and feels more comfy and refined - less raw but still a lot of fun.

The newer tech is nice - touchscreen, digital dash, driving assistance - some people will not care about that at all and some people like it. I would not have to have it but I do think it makes the car feel much more modern and newer.

I'm kind of curious how many other people out there we're going to get a used M3 and then opted for an M340i?

I have to go out and test drive another M3 again before I can actually make a fair decision. I have also not quite sure how to make pricing comparisons as if I picked up an M3 it would be used - I'd. Need to get CPO and probably extended warranty. If I do an M340i I would lease and have factory warranty included.

Who has been in my situation what did you decide and why? Thx!

BTW, to the M purists.. i'm not suggesting that the M340i is the equivalent of an M3...I'm Sure for many people there will be no substitute for a true M car - But for others this M340 I might be a better fit for our needs.
Appreciate 0