Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWModel3 View Post
Hopefully you will get the real transmission on the M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWModel3 View Post
Hopefully you will get the real transmission on the M3
You know all of my real sports cars have been manuals. When I was young I had two different RX7's - both sticks, my Boxster was a stick, I even had a Miata with a manual. Briefly had a Volvo S60R - 6 speed. I currently have an Acura TL SH-AWD - I tried and tried to find one with the stick and couldn't and ended up settling on an automatic and I totally hate the automatic transmission in my car. It shifts really slow it totally sucks. Really sucks!!

I once had an opportunity to drive a Carrera S with PDK and that got me thinking that maybe these newer transmissions are better - but I had so little seat time in it that I didn't make up my mind.

After I test drove the M4 with the DCT - I'm sorry to say I have been completely converted. If I buy an M3 there's no way I'm getting a manual transmission I am going to get the DCT.

I have watched multiple YouTube videos where people have been debating that very point and I've read through hundreds of posts Where people debated the pros and cons of the manual transmission in the M3 and M4 versus the DCT. Ultimately it's a very subjective personal decision. I totally understand all the arguments on both sides. I think if you're going to drive the car purely for fun no question the manual is going to have more involvement at the same time the DCT car is going to be faster hands-down. Having driven the car with the DCT that's what I would get.

Which is another reason why I am considering an M340i. I don't want the car with a manual.

But that being said the transmission in the 340i is not a DCT! I will admit that the transmission that in the 340 can shift really fast for an automatic - but I remember what the shifts felt like in the M4 DCT - and the M4 shifts were brutally hard and faster - I loved it. When the car shifted gears you actually felt a push in the seat as if the car was lunging forward after every shift.

the 340i shifts quick . It makes the transmission in my Acura feel like an antique - and it's shifts a lot faster than the transmission in my X5.

But - it's not as good as the M3/M4!

I guess in the end if you are focused purely on the driving experience in terms of raw performance the new 340 I is not an equal to the M3. But if you're only looking at driving the car at 8/10 of its performance level than the 340 I does enough of what you need plus it has the newer technology but if you're only looking at driving the car at 8/10 of its performance level then the 340 I does enough of what
you need plus it has the newer technology. it all depends on where your priorities are.

They're both great cars. If one of them was given to me I would be happy with either one but if I'm going to spend my hard earned money I'm going to do more comparisons and test drives but I still think I'm leaning toward a CPO M3.

I want my car to rip around corners and turns more than I want to the driving assistance tech shit
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50