Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis218 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
I have been thinking about getting a used F80 M3 before the end of the year.

I drive an M4 at the M driving event at my dealer in June and I have been thinking about that car ever since! I'd opt for an M3 as I need four doors.

My X5 Went in for service on Saturday and the dealer gave me a 2019 M340i as a loaner. Nice options - driver assist, driver assist pro, 19"s, HK sounds...

Anyway I wasn't quite sure what to expect but I have been nothing but thoroughly impressed with the car ever since I've had it - I have been blasting around enjoying it all weekend.

The performance feels like 90% of the M3 in a straight like. The handling feels a little softer and it does nit corner as flat as the M3, but honestly it corners pretty darn nice for a street car. I wouldn't track this thing but for a daily driver it feels like 90% of an M3. It has lots of little things that make the M3 feel unique it just doesn't have all of it and feels more comfy and refined - less raw but still a lot of fun.

The newer tech is nice - touchscreen, digital dash, driving assistance - some people will not care about that at all and some people like it. I would not have to have it but I do think it makes the car feel much more modern and newer.

I'm kind of curious how many other people out there we're going to get a used M3 and then opted for an M340i?

I have to go out and test drive another M3 again before I can actually make a fair decision. I have also not quite sure how to make pricing comparisons as if I picked up an M3 it would be used - I'd. Need to get CPO and probably extended warranty. If I do an M340i I would lease and have factory warranty included.

Who has been in my situation what did you decide and why? Thx!

BTW, to the M purists.. i'm not suggesting that the M340i is the equivalent of an M3...I'm Sure for many people there will be no substitute for a true M car - But for others this M340 I might be a better fit for our needs.
I was in your exact situation yesterday. I test drove the F80 and couldn't wipe the grin off my face. The extended Merino leather interior is way more luxurious than the G20 interior. And iDrive on 2017+ models is not far off from iDrive 7. I only use the HUD and never look at the speedometer so the center computer screen doesn't matter to me. This is coming from a comp sci guy who constantly buys new gadgets.

If after a test drive it's not a night and day difference to you like it was to me then get the M340i.
I totally agree with your assessment I can see where the F 80 M3 and the M340i, to some extent, kind of overlap in their appeal to consumers in that both are high-performance cars it's just that the M3 is even more high-performance whereas because the 340i is a newer model it wins out on creature comforts and technology

If you're content with the performance of the M340i then you're going to be drawn in by all the bells and whistle's and the new wow factor of the new platform. If on the other hand you really want an all-around hard-core performance car if you drive the two back to back you're going to want the M3 Angil sacrifice all the new gizmos in exchange for all that hard-core handling and power.

I last drove a real M car over a month ago - thinking back to that test drive and now having the M340 for the weekend I really like the M340, I and I find the performance to be excellent but I wouldn't pull the trigger and buy one without going back into an M3 and driving it again.

I am one of those sick people who wishes they could take every on ramp like it's a track day. When I get onto a nice sweeping on ramp and there's some fucking Prius in front of me i hate it.... don't get me wrong I don't break the law and drive like a madman but I do like to push the car around turns and I can see where if you are that kind of person you would appreciate the extra edge you get from the M3

The fact that the M340 I can make people like
me who are looking at used M3's, take a second look and reconsider their purchase, just goes to show how good the M340i Is.
Appreciate 0