View Single Post
      08-26-2020, 10:54 AM   #58
alienz
Rep
Drives: G20 320i M-Sport

Thanks for the tips especially the painters tape. I watched the keis video a few times , while attempting to replace it, hoping to find any steps i might have Missed. Im afraid of appying too much force and breaking any parts (especially the one the grille is attwched to). And the video made it seem too easy!!

I removed the round clips in 5 min and thought this would be a breeze. 60 mins later i was still trying and had to abort the mission and get dinner for the family. Im gonna try again tomorrow and hopefully i dont break anything. I dont have a trim removal tool unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
It isn't as easy as people here say it is. But if I could do it, anyone can!
I had the same issue as you initially. I realized it was because the two clips weren't completely separated from the tab, which made it lock back into place when you went for the third clip. I pulled a little harder to make sure it was completely separated. You can use a microfiber cloth or two (though it will be a very tight fit) or other trim removal tools or something plastic between the clip and the tab to make sure it doesn't go back in? And the damn thing needs a decent amount of force. I thought I would break it but it didn't. It's pretty sturdy.
The clips on the sides were the worst. What helped me was to shine a light through the gap to see where it was attached to the car at the back. And then use a trim removal tool to push the clip out from behind. You can try using your fingers if they're slim but there are a few sharp edges there. I managed to get the clip on the left (when you're standing facing the grill) out comparatively easily. I tried getting the clip on the right out first before removing the one on the left but it was very hard. But once I got the clip on the left out, all I needed to do was to move the grill around and the left clip popped out by itself.
The bottom clips come off by themselves.

Tip - Use some painters tape around the bumper where the grill is flush with the car (bottom part of the grill). I managed to nick my paint while removing the grill. And that nick is still noticeable even with the new grill in place (I notice it because I know where it is; it isn't that obvious to others. But still).
Also be careful when putting the new grill back in. I tried lining mine up perfectly but one of the clips on the side would always be out of line (even though it qas an oem grill). I got frustrated and banged the grill back into place. In the process, I broke one of the clips at the bottom in the new grill and the flimsy plastic part that connects the front fascia to the car (under the hood). The grill stays in place perfectly though and nothing happens because the plastic breaks. But it can be avoided if the grill can be lined perfectly and puahed back into place without applying too much force. Much more force was needed to get the original grill out though.

PS - I used the Keis motorsport video to help me since his gave the most details on how to remove it, including how to get to the clips.
Appreciate 0