05-13-2020, 11:28 AM   #87
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M3 View Post
Relax guys all the red brake calipers and CF trim in the world still ain’t gonna make it a real ///M car
Lets not kid ourselves here. No ///M cars are 'real' these days. The magic formula for an M car was and has always been a rear wheel drive normal series car that BMW gave a bespoke engine, different suspension and the M goodies on the inside and outside. They've kind of all been watered down so they appeal to the masses. BMW is a business and needs to make money to keep shareholders happy but I wish they would do something exciting that makes the M cars stand-out. I'd be okay with an M3 that's a four cylinder and a battery pack or electric motor. It's different and it stands out. M cars are suppose to be innovative and technology is suppose to trickle down to the regular series from the M line-up. Look at what AMG may be doing on the next AMG C63.

What the formula now just seems to be make anything that sells. No more bespoke engine. We'll take the B58, tweak it and call it the S58. We'll tweak the suspension and just throw the M badge on every panel and most customers will NEVER notice because most customers really don't care. It's the enthusiast community that notices. M Cars just seem to be a sportier extension of the regular series car lineup.

No offense to the CA or FL folks but just take a trip down there and look at how many owners are taking full potential of the cars. One or two percent if that.

I do like how BMW is starting to move away from the boring Nappa Leather seats to a diamond stitched seat. It has some flavor to what is a business focused interior.

P.S. Those that have driven a an e36, e46, e92 know what I'm talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.

Last edited by The Automotive Enthusiast; 05-13-2020 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0