View Single Post
      04-23-2020, 08:36 AM   #4
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

If BMW truly wants to grab a big market share, the i4 should be priced similarly to the Tesla Model 3 extend range and have the advertised 373 miles range. BMW can certainly tack on modest price increase of a couple of thousand dollars for the BMW brand name and nicer appointments. But should be aware that Tesla is the leader in the EV market with proven and improving technology.

Every car magazine headlines the latest EV as a Tesla killer. To date, not one car has proven so. Most all are priced thousand$ more than and Tesla, don't have the range or the charging network. BMW, has the i4 which has the range and if priced comparably (with similar equipment), to actually rival the Tesla for market share.

My next car will be an EV. I would be an enthusiastic buyer of the i4 if the the range was equal to the Model 3 extended range and the pricing was comparable with similar features included. If BMW thinks that having the whirling propeller affords them the right to charge $15-20K more than a comparably equipped and ranged Tesla Model 3, they may be in for a rude awakening.

To date, I have no idea of the i4 battery warranty and longevity, or the car's storage capabilities (trunk and frunk). If the estimated pricing will be in the $50K range and the car has the 373 mile range and it comes comparably equipped to a Tesla, BMW will likely get my business. Otherwise I will be buying a Model 3.
Appreciate 0