miked1999
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
M340i - Driving without grill for 2-3 days

Initially, I was one of the haters.... but in person & especially on sapphire black, the M340i mesh grill is fierce AF and I love it. Now that we have that out of the way, I was hoping ya'll could weigh in...

Because 1.) I'm too impatient to wait for a Shadowline (OEM Mesh style) grill to be stocked by aftermarket suppliers, I've found a body shop to paint the Cerium Gray areas on the grill. I'm going Gloss Black for $200...And 2.) because my wife is threatening divorce if I don't quit investing in this car, I'm going to cut corners & remove & reattach the grill myself, creating a net cost savings of at least $150 because these body shop bastards believe the f'ing entire FRONT BUMPER needs to be removed to enable the grill to come off the car! Bastard$! I'm generally comfortable removing the grill and have done it twice on my other BMW's. I also don't have a front camera which is hopefully even easier.

Sidenote- I'm not interested in Dipping or Wrapping. Done it before on other cars, and decided against it this time around.

My plan is to remove and leave the grill at the shop...then pick it up in 2-3 days once the paint is dry. .

Besides the car looking pathetically incomplete, are there any risks I should consider? I assume the vents will remain attached to the body and function normally at ALL speeds? I honestly have no idea but it's difficult to imagine a grill has any real functionality...besides looking sexy, of course.

Am I safe to drive grillless for a few days?
Appreciate 0