United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, M3 ZCP, M3 CS

Garage List
2021 BMW G80   [0.00]
2018 F80 ZCP  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
Question Keeping the exhaust valve open?

Hey all!

Is there anyway to keep the exhaust always open while not needing to be in manual sport mode? The right exhaust only opens after driving around a while in manual sport mode or being in park/ neutral also in sport mode.

I would love to drive around while being in comfort mode with the exhaust open.
I have seen people unplug the exhaust valve plug on previous generations while the exhaust is open to prevent it from closing after pulling out the plug.

UPDATE : For those wondering how it sounds, its a bit louder in both Eco/comfort modes ( sounds the same in both modes ), though you still only get the pops in sport mode.

Feels great to always have the pops in sport mode without having to be in manual and having to go past a certain RPM to keep the flap open. I've noticed before this mod that if I drove in sport mode & manual that doing lots of down shifting would lead to the flap opening, however if I stop doing that for even under a minute the flap would close again.

Procedure : Start the engine, wait a bit and while in Park switch to sport mode and you should hear the flap open. While engine is on ( as I believe while the engine is off the flap closes) go to the rear right bottom of the car to unplug the plug. There should be a little tab to push in in order to get the plug to come out. Pulling the plug really hard won't do anything until you push the little tab to loosen the whole plug. Tape it up and I would suggest zip tying the whole connector along the valve switch.

similar to what we're doing however on the G20 it's on the right exhaust and also having the car off doesn't have the flap open.

Attached images show before and after.
For the connector I taped it up and zip tied it to the bracket. And also taped up the plug and put a zip tied around it to make sure the tape stayed on there and as some more protection.
Attached Images

Last edited by chunll2001; 12-11-2019 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 0