04-18-2019, 03:33 PM   #10
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
A more realistic reason why they are doing it might be for emissions. It might be easier to reach a emissions figure with an auto. So with a manual, they might have to detune it to meet the same emissions standards. But I do have alternate theory of why they might be doing this.

My theory is that detuning the manual and extolling the virtues of an automatic gives a lot of car shoppers "an out" or an excuse to buy an automatic. I think there are a lot of people who are on the fence about buying a manual. Whether it's because they actually prefer an auto or they are getting older and don't want to deal with a clutch pedal.

So if someone calls them out for buying an automatic, they simply have to say that their car has more power and the transmission shifts quicker. It gives an actual performance reason to buy the automatic. They are less likely to experience buyer's remorse for buying a lesser car.

It does seem a bit ridiculous, but it is along the same lines of the printed clothes sizes being "optimistic." For all we know, these rumors are just to see how we'd react. They might even advertise lower power figures but then just put the same engine in.
Appreciate 1
maelfyn156.50