View Single Post
      05-23-2019, 12:11 PM   #17
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Missing CFRP Roof Racks Mounting Points

Yes this is very interesting, seems time-consuming.

*There is something that everyone seems to be forgetting, which is with all the new models with the Carbon Fiber Roofs there is NO location for the Internal Mounting Brackets for mounting a roof rack to the cars roofs subframe. The first M3 with a the Carbon Fiber Roof had this important feature. This feature seems to be completely disappearing from all BMW models which is unacceptable. I'm here to make sure this important feature continues to stay on and be functional on all BMW vehicle models.

BMW Product/Features Request

BMW M4 (F83) Production: 2014 - Present, Carbon Fiber Roof - NO OEM Connection Points for Roof Racks Mounts for a Thule Luggage Rack, unacceptable

I also noticed that on the new and ridiculously expensive 8 Series with CFRP Roof there is NO plastic flaps for the Roof Racks Mounting Points either.

One missing important feature that is a must for me on the current M4s, is the need for OEM Connection Points for Roof Racks Mounts.

The previous model BMW M3 (E92) with optional Carbon Fiber Roof had the OEM Connection Points/Bolts. However, I’m completely disappointed that I have NOT seen the 4-OEM Connection Points for the Roof Rack Mounts on any of the U.S. BMW M4 (F83) with Carbon Fiber Roofs. In person and in a lot of photos, I noticed the mold for the carbon fiber roof insert holes do NOT line up where they're supposed to be, and I can't understand how in 5 long years, why BMW’s M Division has NOT fixed this issue?

Others have mentioned that you have to order a Metal Roof which includes for me an unnecessary Moonroof to have the OEM Connection Points, but this doesn't make sense because the weight is distributed on the frame of the vehicle, not on the top-sheet of carbon fiber or metal.

And you CAN’T get a Solid Metal Roof without a Moonroof.

Can anyone elaborate on this important utilitarian missing feature? This makes no sense to me as the previous models with CFRP Roofs had the Mounting Points. I want and need to be able to cleanly mount a Thule Roof Rack. NO suction-cups wanted!

And why on the new X3M / X4M does BMW M not offer CFRP Roof as an option to save weight like on the new Porsche Cayenne Coupe?
Attached Images

Last edited by DCG; 05-23-2019 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0