View Single Post
      06-12-2019, 12:10 PM   #37
apascutia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
I think your observations are more about a 4pot 5 series that is mostly focused on comfortable & refined commuting, vs 6 pot 3 series. I you compare it to the equivalent car from the era (e39 525i) your 530 would be more fun. (E39 525i would float like a boat, and it’s 180hp!) If you drive an f82 M4 which is the equivalent to a e36 m3, I think f82 would be way more fun. But of course that depends on your definition of fun. If refinement is not fun for you, older the car is more fun it would be for you. I mean in that context, a BMW 2002 would be awesome for you.
I strongly disagree with your statement about the E39 525i feeling like a boat. Not bringing up the sport package model, I'm talking about the regular model without the sport suspension. Yes, it has a little float to it when you push it to the limit, but the car still communicates with you what it's doing. It's comfortable like a base G30, but you have really good steering feel, and you don't have suspension that gives up at the first corner. I recently drove a G30 530i, and while it's a very quiet and refined car, it's so numb and boring. I don't get why anyone would get one, personally. The engine and transmission calibration was great, but it felt so strange when putting it through a corner. It did not like being pushed. Plus, you could get an E39 525i with a manual. Great cruiser but if you showed it some corners, it would hug the road, the steering would talk to you, and the engine would sing. Let's not even talk about the difference in build quality in the interior between these two cars. From the moment you opened the extremely heavy and solid feeling door to the E39, you knew you were in something special. The G30 doors feel so tinny. The G30 is a fine daily driver, but it certainly doesn't feel like a BMW. The current Kia Stinger feels a lot more like a 5 series than the G30./End Rant
Appreciate 0