Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by apascutia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Wow. You went way off course at the end. I mean build & material quality is not subjective.
It's like you don't know what build & material quality is. G30 has the best materials I've ever seen in a BMW except for 7 series. Every single plastic piece is soft and high end (Except for the little door left of steering wheel which is mostly irrelevant), and everything fits perfectly

I didn't drive 530i extensively, but 540i MSport wants to be pushed, sings when you want it to sing, hugs the road much much better than E39s that I drove including the V8 540i, has perfect balance of comfort & handling, and it's a lot of fun to drive. I like it better than my F82 M4, I actually like it better than any other car I've had in the past.

Leaving nostalgic feelings aside; in reality, E39 didn't hug the road better, didn't have a better suspension, didn't have better materials, didn't have better engine. It probably had better steering 'feel', but it was soft.
The E39 for sure had a better ride/handling balance. It didn’t feel like such a massive car. The interior of the door panels on the G30 is hard plastic. The area around moonroof/reading lights has horrible flex. I’m not just saying these things for the purpose of nostalgia, but I’ve had a lot of seat time in all these cars and these are my observations. The M550i is probably the worst tuned one of the lot. The engine’s very impressive, but it’s so incredibly numb and the ride is awful. You go over any sort of bump and you get all these secondary motions, plus it feels like you’re about to blow out your tires which isn’t ok. I see you have an E92/E93 in your profile pic. I love the E90 series BMW. I really regret not getting one instead of my F30. Sure, the G30 is very advanced technologically, and I loved the way the engine meshed with the transmission, but it’s just missing something. That’s my opinion. The 530i,540i, and M5 are great cars, they just don’t appeal to me because of how remote they feel. By the way, I’m not some old schmuck who’s insisting that everything old is better. Ignoring the 5 series, I love the current 2 series, X3, and the outgoing 6 series. I’ll give you this though, the B58 engine is fantastic. Truly one of the greats. I haven’t driven the 540i, but I have driven the 530i, M550i, and M5. The 530i was too soft in my mind, the M550i was horribly tuned but fast, and the M5 is extremely fast + capable. Maybe the 540i’s the best compromise.

The G30 is a fabulous automobile and it does what it does best.... Eat the miles in absolute and pristine comfort and safety. It's a car that was designed to be an excellent family hauler with a hint of sportiness. Nothing more, nothing less. And if you want a sportier 5er, you can get the 540i, M550i, M5, M5 Competition and Alpina B5.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
vladmury101.00