View Single Post
      06-14-2019, 07:36 AM   #46
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

I can honestly see both points with the old vs new debate. I think even the f30 (with sport tuned suspension) drives a bit better than your run of the mill daily commuter car. That said, some daily commuter cars have increased some facets of their game a bit, so maybe the contrast between premium car and average daily driver is less than what it once was, depending on trim line and how the cars are optioned. I haven't driven a g20 yet, but the problem with the f30 is it came with many compromises, and not the sort typically associated with a car that's marketed as a premium brand "sports sedan". The interior is adequate and functional, but not particularly interesting or "premium". The steering feels "off" in any trim or spec. You absolutely need one of the sport tuned suspension options or packages to have handling that feels acceptable. The reliability is ok by historical bmw standards, but not good by any stretch. If one wants a soft, refined ride from their 3/4 series, the f30 didn't really deliver that in any trim or spec either. The run flat tires do a lot to ruin cabin noise and smooth ride, and there are plenty of cheap sounding rattles and creaks in many, if not most f3* cars.

For the cost of the average optioned f30, one didn't want to have to compromise, especially in the ways mentioned above. This especially when the driving pleasure and premium aspects of the car were perceived to be reduced (by many), or less special compared to the average, less expensive car.

Judging by many of the reviews, the g20 might have addressed some of the more glaring compromises. Is it enough, or too little too late?
Appreciate 0