Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I just started a 10GB file from my home workstation on the wired network. We'll see how long that one takes.

UPDATE: 2GB after an hour. About the same speed as the upload from my laptop earlier.

UPDATE 2: The 10GB upload from home last night averaged about 2GB/hr. But this morning I uploaded a 2.8GB file from my office at the university and it took just 5 minutes. Considerable difference. Much of that can be attributed to the nature of the pipes to the internet. My home internet pipe is geared towards downloads. I get 50mb/s down and around 6mb/s up, supposedly, but I don't think it actually maintains that speed over a long run. The pipe at the university is much more balanced as far as up/down speeds and the upload pipe is much more consistent, even though the peak measured speed is similar.

In other words, YMMV.
Very interesting, Mark. That's an incredibly wide variance. My Speedtest shows over 60mb/s down and 6.9 up, both at home and work. I think that Amazon is choking the uploads somehow, but they won't answer questions about how to improve upload speed.

Dave