View Single Post
      09-02-2018, 11:39 AM   #839
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Daytonas are way out of my league right now, but for me, any Rolex nowadays has the unwanted turn off of the d'bag popularity/bougie showoff image. No offense - I realize those on this forum aren't into them for that reason, but I hope some can relate to my conflict. I always wanted a Rolex, since they are obviously an icon and trailblazer in creating the kind of mechanical exemplar that I love, tool watches at the performance level of surgical gear or F1 machinery. But now they are popular with the wrong kind of people for the wrong reasons, and I cringe at the association (kind of like P-cars). I have to ask myself, would Steve McQueen or Paul Newman have used their contacts to get a Daytona today, or would they go with something as robust and underappreciated as the Daytona was in those days? Or am I just rationalizing my current love of Seiko?
What you say is true, but I still think the Sub is the best traditional looking watch in existance. It's plain, looks very expensive, has a great tradition and its size is near perfect. I can't think of another watch in this class that I would remotely want... the Omega Seamaster comes to mind but it it literally the size of Alaska on your wrist.
Appreciate 1