09-05-2018, 10:17 AM   #843
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Daytonas are way out of my league right now, but for me, any Rolex nowadays has the unwanted turn off of the d'bag popularity/bougie showoff image. No offense - I realize those on this forum aren't into them for that reason, but I hope some can relate to my conflict. I always wanted a Rolex, since they are obviously an icon and trailblazer in creating the kind of mechanical exemplar that I love, tool watches at the performance level of surgical gear or F1 machinery. But now they are popular with the wrong kind of people for the wrong reasons, and I cringe at the association (kind of like P-cars). I have to ask myself, would Steve McQueen or Paul Newman have used their contacts to get a Daytona today, or would they go with something as robust and underappreciated as the Daytona was in those days? Or am I just rationalizing my current love of Seiko?
To each his own.

As you stated, there are those of us that do not purchase a Rolex as a status symbol. I think for many, we get started that way, but then something else clicks. For me, my first Rolex Submariner (20 years ago) was the status symbol of owning a Rolex. My love for the watches has grown and changed.
Now, I'm into the older, collector pieces. Not at all because they're a status symbol, but because for the most part, they are different from modern watches. The idiosyncrasies of the worn watch, the patina, the non-perfect case/band/insert from years of wear (in my case - almost 50 years) all play into what drives my passion.
If I see an old watch and it's just been polished, it loses it's luster for me. I want the knicks and scratches on it. Especially my next buy - either a DRSD or Comex. They are considered the ultimate tool watch.

Your argument could go against BMW as well regarding popularity. They were the drivers car with the best chassis/handling (3-series) that were sold to enthusiasts. But for me, they've lost it and have caved to try to sell more cars. Numb steering, chassis tuned towards ride comfort and engines that are good, but not great anymore.
Appreciate 0