Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Xdrive Touring Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKrill View Post
I can't hear it at idle.

It begins somewhere around 30km/h and I can hear it more/louder the higher the speed gets. Sometimes it is a slightly "pulsing" sound but mostly only "whooo".

I would really like to get a hold of the service bulletin number regarding the prop shaft support bearing and to know the name of Juggas dealer.
Maybe we can help you isolate where the noise is coming from. You can try the experiment that I suggest below. Also, you may have someone else drive your BMW while you listen in the front passenger seat noting if the sound/noise is directional. Also sit in the left and right rear seat positions while the driver does the suggestions I list below.

Try this experiment. Use manual AT mode so that you can change gear and engine rpm/speed while you vehicle speed stays the same.

When you start hearing the sound/noise, keep you vehicle speed the same, but drop down a couple of gears so that the engine rpm will increase. Then note what changes with the noise, if anything. Does the sound level/loudness change? And, does the pitch of the noise change?

Then, keep your vehicle speed the same, but shift up a couple of gears so that the engine rpm goes down, and take notice if the sound increases or decreases in volume level, and if the noise changes in pitch.

Report what you hear. Noting any changes with these experiments may be helpful to the tech/s to better understand where the noise is coming from, and what to listen for.
They won't be able to correct any problem if they can't first hear and then isolate the area where the noise may be coming from.
No sound in the backseat
Sound even if you roll down a hill with the engine off
The sound changes with the speed
It seems that is coming from lower front. But the source could be anywhere, if the coupe/body is the resonance box. It could be the drive shaft bearing even if that is placed a bit back.
I'm afraid that the Touring model is a design failure and that it is a very sensitive resonance box and it picking up sounds that is hard to find.
Appreciate 1