01-20-2020, 07:43 PM   #15
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
I thought OP was asking whether the dealership actually uses synthetic oil or not. I know many places where they claim to use synthetic oil but it’s actually semi-synthetic or even mineral oil (and they bill you for fully synthetic oil). I didn’t think he meant he wanted to use conventional oil in place of synthetic oil.
And, I think, more than whether it’s synthetic or mineral oil that an engine “needs”, it’s the viscosity that matters. Why do I say that? The first car I ever owned (back in 2008) came with mineral oil from the factory and they used mineral oil for a few years before switching over to fully synthetic oil. But I’m no expert. That’s just what I think and if anyone can prove me wrong, I’ll definitely update my knowledge and be thankful. I don’t know if you can get mineral and synthetic oil with the same multi grade viscosity (I assume you can but again, I could be wrong, since this isn’t my area of expertise).
I'm just grateful someone fully read and understood my post

Yes, you've got a good grasp on what I was asking. In some of the second gen Lexus IS engines, there was a problem with carbon build up and a recall with corrected engine design, but it also came to light that the ones who never had the carbon build up were the ones running synthetic. By the third generation, Lexus was putting only synthetic 0w20 from day one.

But, those are naturally aspirated engines. I wasn't sure what the scoop was with the newer turbo charged 4 cylinders; just trying to learn as much as I can about the car before mine is delivered.
Appreciate 0