bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
It will be fine until you hit 75k miles and the car starts burning oil. The break in period is important for the seals to set properly. If you follow it, you won't have long term oil consumption issues. If you don't, you'll likely need to add oil between oil changes at higher mileage.

There's a coating on the cylinder walls that breaks down at a certain rate. If you exceed the RPM recommendations that coating will break down faster than it's supposed to and the seals won't set properly.

If you lease your car I guess it doesn't matter for you but it will for the 2nd owner. In the scheme of things, 1,200 miles really isn't a long time and even though my car is a lease I chose to adhere to BMWs break in procedure so the next owner can enjoy the car as much as I have with minimal issues
That's why you don't buy a dealer loaner, demo, or a rental service car
I brought an executive demo car but it only had 20 miles on it. Not sure if they were doing burnouts if the dealer was using it to do test drives while a salesperson in the passenger seat but so far no problems after 52 k miles and I got a nice discount. I did get 3 months taken off the warranty though as the in service date was 3 months earlier than when I took delivery. For the most part it looks like it just sat for 3 months wasn't actually being used as a demo.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50