CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Okay so what about the 1/4 mile time? Aerodynamics definately come into play and that 119 mph trap speed is very impressive for an SUV. Also I was simply responding to a person that posted BMW's expected acceleration times with measured acceleration numbers for an SUV using the same engine that will be in the M3/4. I think the M3 is about the drive and handling but also being the best of it's 3 series peers and the M340i is already impressively fast so it stands to reasoning that we would expect it to eclipse that car in a straight line. Just because you don't care it doesn't mean we can't discuss it.

I do not believe that is the case. Car magazines have been clocking 0-60 since the 60's. It's a performance metric that people have cared about forever. It's not the only metric but nonetheless straight line speed has always been valued and let's not be silly and start proclaiming that's all people care about as if it was was the case nobody would care about Porsches and we would all be driving Dodge Hellcats.
Same applies to quarter mile times. AWD vehicles have a huge advantage because it allows them to get up to speed very early in the run and cover the distance in less time. Further, 6MT will lose precious seconds and mph with each upshift. But the G8X will likely have solid trap speeds, because that's where power to weight matters. But then again, 1/4 miles is not what an M3 is about.

I am not saying we shouldn't be discussing it, I am part of the discussion. What I am saying is that launching from a dig has never been the M3's main focus. It's always been about race track performance. Further, straight line speed is not only about launching from a dig, for me it is more about the ability to sustain good acceleration at higher speeds, that's what matters on a track. And I think the RWD G8X will be very strong in that respect.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 07-08-2020 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0