12-28-2019, 03:15 AM   #63
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegester View Post
Considering neither of those is a g20, I am not sure how helpful those images are. They both have blue lights on anyways...

As for the G20, the images I find for RoW look like the image below. The US headlights have blue pieces there too. I was just curious how different those pieces are since the part numbers are different.

I am well aware of the legalities and why we don't have it, but I hold a small hope that maybe the blue light is like anti-dazzle and can be activated.
I just supplied the examples of two US vs Row vehicles which I was able to locate online to support my claim. A G20 compare and contrast wasn't available.

Anyone with a US-spec G20 with Laser Lights can confirm that it's white and those with a RoW can confirm that its a much more noticeable shade of blue. I assume that would self-explanatory.

BMW's laser headlights work is by aiming a trio of blue-laser diodes, situated at the rear of the light assembly, into a set of mirrors, which reverse the direction of the light and send it through a lens filled with yellow phosphorus, this is why the US-spec lights still have a slight blue hue within the diodes.

However, the yellow phosphorus responsible for the color shift is physically skewed towards producing a white light output, in order to meet US regulations.

The yellow phosphorous lens It's not controlled by software, thus, it's not just a matter of simple coding to alternate the colors, there is a physical difference.

Aside from the main high-beam, the running lights itself is also physically white in US-spec vehicles and is not capable of color-shifting to blue.

The part numbers are different between both regions not only because of the difference in hue but also because all US-spec vehicles must have a DOT stamp indicating that they meet the all legal requirements and also a physical light level adjuster, the RoW doesn't need to have this requirement.

I hope you don't assume I'm trying to burst your bubble or anything because I also hope it was just a matter of coding to make them blue as the RoW but I'm merely pointing out that it's not physically possible in the BMW setup.

Appreciate 0