09-15-2020, 05:32 PM   #3
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I completely disagree with you and this is just my opinion. I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong.

The tactile feedback you get from discrete positioning for the wipers and turn signal are valuable tools. They give you a definite status on the turn signal or wipers. I use my turn signal religiously and I find cancelling it is the biggest pain in the butt with the older centering style stalk. If I accidentally hit the signal stalk meaning to do a full turn signal but accidentally hit the 3 flasher and I try to cancel it when I complete a longer lane change, I will sometimes activate the opposite turn signal. Doesn't happen often, but it's annoying.

I also like being able to shut off the wipers immediately up an down to the speed I want instead of going through them sequentially. Also, American cars get auto wipers and that doesn't really have anything to do with the stalks.

Like you said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I find the traditional discrete position stalks much more intuitive and error free. No one else really uses the re-centering system that BMW used for so many years and I'm glad BMW finally went back to the correct way to do it. This is definitely not an issue with cost (if anything the centering stalks probably costs less to manufacture) so I know the majority agree with me. In fact now that I think about it, I feel that the centering stalks might have been cost cutting.
Appreciate 7
Jbrock22221.50
G20NZ34.50
themnmd1691.00
sanch866.50
Burrcold5219.00
k4sh_90539.00