United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-ALPINA View Post
They are from pre-03/2017 G11 7-series.

I would say you use them wrong if you accidentally turn the turn signals on in the other direction. If you blinking left, just tap to the left for cancelling - then you don't accidentally blink to the right side.

To me, this handles feels so much modern and logic than the old style. Look at Tesla, they have startet to use this design on their Model 3, nobody complains about them. When they are "automatic" like this one, the stalks can have other functions as well (for example when autonomous driving mode - turn the signals to the left on, and the car will change lane and cancels the turn signal when the operation is done). This cant happen when the stalks are mechanical.

And best off all - they don't sounds like plastic breaks.

The return to the old style are definitely "cost cutting".

I know someone loves them (like me) and someone hates them. So sad BMW didn't want the customer choose. I would easy pay 500-1000$ for this option when ordering a new car.
A couple things wrong with your argument. First off, both the signal and wipers don't electrically rely on the hardware to actuate. They are completely controlled by the car's ECU. So they can be actuated by self driving just fine. The stalks don't physically have to move to actuate. That should be obvious by the fact that you were able to retrofit the centering stalks in the new car.

Second it is cheaper to produce the centering style of stalks. Electrically they're nothing more than two momentary switches for up and down. For the detent style that you don't like, it requires additional hardware to distinguish all the different positions and the hardware to hold the stalks in place and the hardware required to reset the stalk after a turn is complete. So I can assure you it is cheaper to produce the centering style of stalks.

Everything else is opinion so I'll leave that alone.
Appreciate 0