BMW-ALPINA
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50, F11 M550d, E70 X5

Garage List
2009 730dA  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
A couple things wrong with your argument. First off, both the signal and wipers don't electrically rely on the hardware to actuate. They are completely controlled by the car's ECU. So they can be actuated by self driving just fine. The stalks don't physically have to move to actuate. That should be obvious by the fact that you were able to retrofit the centering stalks in the new car.

Second it is cheaper to produce the centering style of stalks. Electrically they're nothing more than two momentary switches for up and down. For the detent style that you don't like, it requires additional hardware to distinguish all the different positions and the hardware to hold the stalks in place and the hardware required to reset the stalk after a turn is complete. So I can assure you it is cheaper to produce the centering style of stalks.

Everything else is opinion so I'll leave that alone.
Nah, disagreed. Yes, the column switch (SZL) are controlled by the BDC-module, even for the "electronic"/touch stalks and the mechanical stalks. In the ex. case; if you are in self drive mode and turn on the tun signals with the mechanical stalks, it will always stands one, since its a mechanical pin in the coil spring that pulls the stalks back to center. The BDC can cancel the blinking, but the stalks will stand in wrong position. With "electronic"/touch-stalks, the stalks returns to the center position and the BDC can cancel the blinking. Its much more modern with the returning stalks.

Im also disagree that the touch-stalks are cheaper to produce. I have destroyed many of them, and the complex of the touch stalks are way more heavy than the mechanical stalks.

That's my opinion, I accept yours.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50