Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Being a former lexus owner, I can understand why people prefer them over the German brands. Aside from the bullet-proof reliability, there's a level of fit and finish and comfort that the German brands can't compete with at the same price point. You have to really get up into the higher priced German models to get that same level of comfort.

So if you take a look at the type of vehicles typically associated with comfort, i.e. SUV's, Lexus dominates in that segment because they cater to what the typical SUV driver looks for. Most SUV drivers couldn't care less about performance or advanced technology. They want a vehicle that is comfortable, quiet, and reliable at a reasonable price.

On the opposite end of that spectrum, if you look at compact/mid-size sport sedans, Lexus struggles, because buyers from that segment are more inclined to look for performance and technology. Although lexus has made strides in the performance category (relative to their older models), the technology is just not up to par yet, and that hearkens back their pursuit of being at the top of reliability charts. The more tech you pack into a car, the greater probability for things to go wrong.
There's no excuse for a company like Lexus to build such slow, heavy, thirsty and poor handling cars today. There's more to the strive for perfection in a car than reliability, much, much more and these dinosaurs just aren't cutting it in 2020.
Loyal Toyota customers want a reliable, functional appliance that's relatively easy and inexpensive to maintain. Their cars are still fuel efficient enough, and those buying a truck or large suv are willing to accept poor fuel economy for the increased functionality.

The main draw to Toyota, though, is in the reliability, and many consumers consider this to be one of, if not, the most important factor in buying a car. Reputed reliability also, largely, drives value in the used market, and favorable depreciation rates for their models.

Toyota already nailed the reliability formula decades ago, and they've stuck with that formula. If they were to compete at the forefront of modern automotive technology like forced induction, autonomous driving features, high tech infotainment, etc, there would experience inevitable growing pains, and similar bugs and issues that brands like bmw experience, which would tarnish their reputation among their customer base. Toyota drivers don't understand why we spend more to buy a car with shaky reliability and technology that works ok, only sometimes. Bmw enthusiasts strike loyal Toyota drivers as odd, or exercising poor judgement in choosing a car, or as badge snobs who are only concerned with impressing people. Of course I don't agree with this, but it's the type of reception I generally get from those who drive Toyota models.

Currently Toyota sells more automobiles than anyone else by a wide margin. I'd imagine that eventually they will have to evolve. In the meantime, for anyone complaining that they can no longer get a luxury sport sedan/coupe with a na, high-strung v8, look no further than the Lexus RCF and LSF.
Appreciate 0