09-25-2020, 02:28 PM   #31
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeMan View Post
...They are just nowhere near the quality of anything half the price....Yes, the cars have quality tech, no they are not built well and shake themselves loose all the time. ..
This is a ridiculous, false statement, IMO.

I drove Audis for 20+ years and Audi build quality is near the top of the industry. My Model 3 isn’t at that same level, but it’s not too far behind, and is clearly above mainstream (Honda/Toyota/Buick, etc.) cars. We can disagree about the quality of the interior (I find it to be refreshingly simple, very solidly built and very comfortable; you might think a 3 series or C-Class is “better”, but I find both to be overwrought and distractingly disjointed) Nary a singe rattle or squeak in my car after 25K miles and never a need for any service of any kind.

The legacy mfrs have a tough task ahead of them to match Tesla’s overall package. Witness the Taycan - beautiful, nicely built but woefully inefficient and very expensive. Same for the Jaguar iPace.

Tesla will likely have an easier time updating its interiors than the legacy mfrs will improving their EV’s’ efficiency by 30%, or cultivating a totallly seamless DC fast charging experience for long distance travel anything like Tesla’s Supercharger network.
Appreciate 0