09-25-2020, 10:44 PM   #35
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCD1 View Post
This is a ridiculous, false statement, IMO.

I drove Audis for 20+ years and Audi build quality is near the top of the industry. My Model 3 isn’t at that same level, but it’s not too far behind, and is clearly above mainstream (Honda/Toyota/Buick, etc.) cars. We can disagree about the quality of the interior (I find it to be refreshingly simple, very solidly built and very comfortable; you might think a 3 series or C-Class is “better”, but I find both to be overwrought and distractingly disjointed) Nary a singe rattle or squeak in my car after 25K miles and never a need for any service of any kind.

The legacy mfrs have a tough task ahead of them to match Tesla’s overall package. Witness the Taycan - beautiful, nicely built but woefully inefficient and very expensive. Same for the Jaguar iPace.

Tesla will likely have an easier time updating its interiors than the legacy mfrs will improving their EV’s’ efficiency by 30%, or cultivating a totally seamless DC fast charging experience for long distance travel anything like Tesla’s Supercharger network.
Jeeze, relax, I'm a shareholder lol, I want them to succeed, but I won't blindly follow or support them. They have a lot to work on. Hear me out.

My opinion is based on the experience of working there pre and during model 3. I've seen a lot of examples of loose lower ball joint bolts, rear bumpers falling off, parts missing from the factory, seats missing bolts, loose grounds that randomly stall the car - all on new or almost new delivered cars. The rule of thumb is to never buy near the beginning or end of the quarter as these cars are known to be "Pumped Out". Based on what I've seen, pretty much any manufacturer on the US market has better build quality than Tesla, period. This is also after spending 5yrs at BMW.

As for the interior, your correct, it's easy to upgrade an interior that has one screen. Not much of a bar set there. Look how old the Model s is with nothing major refreshed since 2016 when the drive units and battery pack were redesigned and some bodywork. Don't get me started on the tech inside and out. It's outdated and so is the look of the car. IMO, they would have been better off refreshing the whole car to position themselves to compete against the upcoming competitors from Lucid, MBZ, and BMW.

Regarding the Taycan. They consistently exceed range specifications without having to hypermile the car. Porsche would rather under-promise than under deliver. Not something easily found when searching Tesla range.

For anyone who is considering buying a Tesla, visit the forums and see exactly what I'm talking about. You'll be able to see a larger picture of overall quality vs reading a pissing match on bimmer forums, lol.
Appreciate 0