View Single Post
      07-02-2019, 06:20 AM   #46
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcgd21 View Post
I don't understand why people don't always tick the box for the adaptive suspension, it's probably the best priced BMW option, at less than 1% of the car, and greatly improves.

The people who don't choose this option almost always regret the decision (me included).
Surprises me as well, considering many don't drive on surfaces that can really cope well with running a passive sport suspension.

There are a few reasons I can think of.

Many feel they should have a very firm suspension, to be 'sporty'. Passive "M-sport suspension must be the best", thinking. We know that is flawed thinking, as often suspensions can be too firm to give the best grip on many roads. Tire grip is key to any sporty driving. Tires often get the blame when the suspension is more the issue. Try and convince someone a softer suspension can be the faster drive!

Some don't want an adaptive setup. Feel that a passive system is more predictable, which it can be, to a certain degree.

It's an option that doesn't show, something like big rims show. Wheel upgrades are often the preferred spend, even though they cost more and can totally spoil the ride quality on anything less than the smoothest surfaces. Ride quality is not a priority.

Other users intend to modify. Easier to do, starting with a passive setup.

Still other users don't fully grasp the way adaptive works and how it can widen the working envelope, particularly on poor surfaces, which ever mode you are using.

Some fear the costs, long term. Yes that is a valid concern, more to go wrong, or if the failures are similar to a passive system, will cost more to fix.

Probably a few other reasons, we could add.
Appreciate 0