View Single Post
      11-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #99
x986
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 340, ex e92 335, ex e46 M3

Garage List
Interesting. 5 pages, and I didn't read anything from a Model 3, (not M3) owner. We took delivery of my wife's car in May, it is #20,xxx, and we have 6K+ miles on it. While it is primarily her car, I drive it regularly, and actually prefer it for running errands over my '16 340 with adaptable suspension, etc. etc.

I'm a major 'Car Guy' who has owned three BMWs which I have, and continue to love, but I don't bend my knee for any car brand. I don't 'track' my cars, but I do have 20 years of vintage racing behind me. (While the quality of the competition is not completely at a level 10, we do have plenty of very good, experienced drivers, and we really race - we just don't race to the level where we 'swap paint'. I have owned various sports cars over the years, and have a Porsche and a Ferrari in the garage for playing on the back roads. All of this is just so you have some idea of my experiences when I talk about the Model 3 and the 3 Series.

OK, so with all that BS, what is the car like? It has never been to the service center, (only a few blocks from where we live). We have two close friends who have the car; one had a cracked rear widow, and one has a tall son who has problems getting comfortable in it. No other complaints from them.

310 range is BS - Did you ever get EPA mileage on your car? Without super careful measuring, we get about 90% of what the stated range is. And, for battery longevity, the consensus is that you should charge to only 80% of max, so we charge to about 250/260 range. If you're planning a long trip, it is easy to charge to 100%. The car has a timer that we set to charge at 11:30PM. (The charger was about $6-700 installed.) We live in a temperate climate, so I have no idea what high & low temps do to range.

The two white cars sit side by side in the garage. Of course I had been reading about all the problems Tesla was having with build quality, gaps, etc. I got out a micrometer to measure. The gaps were "evenly even", and the same on both cars.

Since my E92, I have always thought that BMW seats were the best in the industry. Tesla is very close. Of course, Tesla is 'pleather', not leather, and BMW is 'pebble', and doesn't feel like leather.

I really dislike monotone, all black interiors, so that is a big visual negative for Tesla. It's obvious that their factory is just not able to give customers any variations here. (If you've been to the BMW or Mercedes or other good quality factories it is amazing to see different models and colors going down the line one after the other.)

My Bimmer has HUD, and that would be appreciated on the Tesla with all the info on their Model 3 screen. Although, the info available on that screen is amazing, and they just moved the turn-by-turn written directions from the right side to the left-center. Also, I have found the ease of getting navigation requests to the car are roughly one million percent better on the Tesla.

I know this is a BMW Forum, but the Tesla is a competitive car, and that is what this thread is about. FWIW, I sold the E92 to buy an AMG Merc. I sold it after one year in disgust to buy the 340.
Appreciate 2