View Single Post
      06-22-2019, 11:08 PM   #67
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Doubt what, crap falling off the bike? You should see what falls off a bike, bits of dirt, grease, rocks (yes, rocks). You doubt dust in the air? Yes, anything that contacts your car traps dust, it will dull your paint after a while. Doubt having to loft your bike over your car every time and that you may be tired? I have a friend with a sea-sucker that just had to replace one of the suckers because it was defective and not working. No, I don't want to take that kind of chance and when a car can take a receiver, it's just dumb IMO.

Like I said, at that point, where that's the only option, I'd rather take a beater.
Totally agree. If my 1 had a hitch option which didn't require some cutting of the lower body work, I'd have one on it now. Instead, I installed one on my C-HR. Initially, I thought about getting the factory roof rails for both my 1 and C-HR. Then I thought about having to hoist a bike over my car and doing so without an accident. I'd rather not run the risk on either car and I'm not a weak person nor short at 6'5". I don't understand the resistance to using a hitch accessory as the primary before using a system which requires mounting on the roof of a car. I opted for a dual bike platform type carrier. Works great. Doesn't require me to loft my bike over top of my car. No additional significant amount of drag. No noise from air blowing over/through the bike. And totally stable....field tested at speeds up to (ahem) 85 MPH.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0