Drives: E39 E46(2) E90 F30 G01 G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik14 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
I guess the rumors were true.

Hopefully the new CEO will push BMW to be more focused on driver's cars again.
The downturn started before Kruger, so he should not take the blame for that. Under his watch some of the earlier missteps were partially redressed . For instance the G20 is an improvement over the F30. The current 5 is a better driver's car than the former one. The G01 is pretty good as a driver's SUV.

As for BMW returning to its roots with the driver's focus some of us wish for, I'd say fat chance. BMW, and all auto makers have way too much to worry about with electric cars, driverless cars, and the potential that fewer may want or need cars as services like Uber flourish.

Not to mention that BMW has dramatically increased the number of vehicles delivered by making their cars appeal to a wider audience. With all these changes in the auto industry and the substantial investment they demand, BMW will not be able to cater to a niche, albeit very loyal, customer group.
Sorry...I haven't seen any return of BMW to its roots. I see them drifting further and further away every month. AWD M cars with no manual opinion? FWD entry level BMWs?

I see BMW drifting towards becoming Audi Jr. at the moment and it's really quite troubling. The brand seems lost in the pursuit of sales.

The sole bright hope is the M2 and it's still too complicated and heavy.

I hope there is a retro-lightweight resurrection in the next few years a throwback sports coupe but I'm not betting on it based on what I'm seeing.
I'm with you 100% on the size and weight of cars and just sheer handling. BMW is never going to return to that. I said they partially redressed some issues in the G20 and more recent models. They are better than their immediate predecessors like the F30.

When my F30 lease was done 2 years back, I actually bought an E46. I recall after test driving the G20, I thought my E46 is much better than this and I told the CA as much. Eventually, after a couple months, I decided to make the switch from the E46 to G20 because I wanted a newer car with some of the extra amenities. The G20 is a very good car, but no it does not handle like an E46.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN13117.00
10"4946.00