Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtennis3811 View Post
From the original press release:

BMW xDrive: fully variable and more efficient.
The latest version of the intelligent all-wheel-drive system splits drive torque between the front and rear wheels more efficiently than in the previous 3 Series model. The fully variable power transfer ensures maximum traction and directional stability in all road and weather conditions while also promoting sportier handling. This functionality comes courtesy of the electronically controlled multi-plate clutch in the transfer case which links up with the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system and constantly adjusts power transmission – precisely and in a fraction of a second – in response to the driving situation. In this way, any tendency of the vehicle to oversteer or understeer greatly reduced.

The system’s rear-biased set-up helps ensure the new BMW 3 Series Sedan retains the exhilarating driving experience drivers expect from a BMW. Sending more drive power to the rear wheels under normal driving increases agility when cornering. In situations which do not require all-wheel drive, the efficiency of BMW xDrive is increased by directing all the engine’s torque to the rear wheels. The weight of the system has also been reduced, while optimized oil supply increases internal efficiency.

I believe the difference between that and the version in Competition vehicles is the ability to force 2WD-only mode.
In bold - I’ll have to see that in a technical document rather than a press release to believe that. This is the first report I have seen of this since the G20 was introduced. It’s long been possible for xDrive to transfer 100% of torque to either the front or rear, but that it’s now the default operation? That’s a very big change from the previous 40:60 front to rear split.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!