06-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #36
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
I think your observations are more about a 4pot 5 series that is mostly focused on comfortable & refined commuting, vs 6 pot 3 series. I you compare it to the equivalent car from the era (e39 525i) your 530 would be more fun. (E39 525i would float like a boat, and it’s 180hp!) If you drive an f82 M4 which is the equivalent to a e36 m3, I think f82 would be way more fun. But of course that depends on your definition of fun. If refinement is not fun for you, older the car is more fun it would be for you. I mean in that context, a BMW 2002 would be awesome for you.
I get what you’re saying but it’s not the engine. Just the feel of the steering and the feedback you get is lacking. The 5 is too refined and not engaging to drive. The 8at also has a lot to do with it. I much prefer the 6mt in my e90 and 5mt in the e36. The G20 is much more like the 5 series now than it is a 3...a lot of the nimbleness that differentiated the 3 from the 5 is gone.

I’ve driven the F82 many times both on track and on street. I vastly prefer my e36 to the F82. The power in the f82 is obviously on a completely different level but the e36 is much more engaging. Power isn’t all that important to me as much as feeling a connection with the car, which is lacking in the f82 which has a clinical precision but is boring and sterile.

I was hoping the G80 would bring back some of that emotion older m cars had, but this MT article isn’t promising since BMW claimed they were making the G20 a return to driving enjoyment and it doesn’t seem like that’s happening.

And I know it will sound crazy but the latest gen camaro has the sort of feel BMW used to. Even though the steering is EPS it manages to give the right balance between feel, speed, and precision and is in perfect harmony with the suspension. The camaro feels like a slightly more refined e39 with better dynamics. If Chevy can do it, BMW can certainly do it. They’re choosing not to.
Appreciate 2