View Single Post
      06-13-2019, 02:11 PM   #42
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by apascutia View Post
I strongly disagree with your statement about the E39 525i feeling like a boat. Not bringing up the sport package model, I'm talking about the regular model without the sport suspension. Yes, it has a little float to it when you push it to the limit, but the car still communicates with you what it's doing. It's comfortable like a base G30, but you have really good steering feel, and you don't have suspension that gives up at the first corner. I recently drove a G30 530i, and while it's a very quiet and refined car, it's so numb and boring. I don't get why anyone would get one, personally. The engine and transmission calibration was great, but it felt so strange when putting it through a corner. It did not like being pushed. Plus, you could get an E39 525i with a manual. Great cruiser but if you showed it some corners, it would hug the road, the steering would talk to you, and the engine would sing. Let's not even talk about the difference in build quality in the interior between these two cars. From the moment you opened the extremely heavy and solid feeling door to the E39, you knew you were in something special. The G30 doors feel so tinny. The G30 is a fine daily driver, but it certainly doesn't feel like a BMW. The current Kia Stinger feels a lot more like a 5 series than the G30./End Rant
Wow. You went way off course at the end. I mean build & material quality is not subjective.
It's like you don't know what build & material quality is. G30 has the best materials I've ever seen in a BMW except for 7 series. Every single plastic piece is soft and high end (Except for the little door left of steering wheel which is mostly irrelevant), and everything fits perfectly

I didn't drive 530i extensively, but 540i MSport wants to be pushed, sings when you want it to sing, hugs the road much much better than E39s that I drove including the V8 540i, has perfect balance of comfort & handling, and it's a lot of fun to drive. I like it better than my F82 M4, I actually like it better than any other car I've had in the past.

Leaving nostalgic feelings aside; in reality, E39 didn't hug the road better, didn't have a better suspension, didn't have better materials, didn't have better engine. It probably had better steering 'feel', but it was soft.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50

Last edited by Cortexiphan; 06-13-2019 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50