bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboy337 View Post
Done just 500 miles in new G21 330i ,
if i start car, select reverse-stop car then go into Drive, as i pull away,i hear a groaning type sound from gearbox area.Happens as well from drive to reverse.
Imagine a fat man getting up from a plump leather couch,thats the best way to describe it.
Car is otherwise great to drive. Any ideas folks
Brake pads 'groaning' in the callipers when holding the car on the footbrake as you have to when changing the drive selector? maybe that is what you are hearing.
If so then 'feathering' the brake pedal can make it sound much worse. Very light brake pedal pressure just enough to stop the car moving and then easing slightly to let the pads 'drag' against the disc and you can make some quite horrendous sounds! Occasionally happened to me in very slow moving, crawling traffic queues. There's nothing wrong with the car nor does it do any damage to the braking system, it just sounds bloody awful and attracts some very disparaging glances from other drivers!
Bear in mind also your car will just be settling in at that kind of mileage and the new brake pads will need to bed in and find their 'groove' (no pun intended!) on the discs.
Appreciate 1