05-06-2020, 07:57 PM   #203
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
That's completely valid. Street racing is very different than tracking however.

I don't go to the track specifically to compare times, although it happens naturally, but not usually to brag about "kills", merely to set a goal for myself. A better skilled driver will run faster laps in a "slower" car. People at circuits are overall very friendly and helpful to one another. We give ride alongs, share our techniques, and even help when something breaks. We are all there to ultimately beat our personal bests and the skill levels are so spread apart that I'd rather see what a faster driver's line is and compare it to mine rather than talk shit about a car because it's slower to 60. Ridiculous. Of course there are some bad eggs too, but not as many as road ragers on the street.

I think the only times I compare lap times is when someone in acting like a complete douche bag. They're usually in the beginner heats, overdriving their high horsepower car and bullying the slower drivers (honking, passing aggressively, riding their tails, not letting faster cars -Miatas- pass because of their ego). Otherwise, respect to skilled drivers, fk the d-bags.

I've met more than a few street racers come in for the first time on a track day, bragging how they're gonna tear it up and they know how to drift around corners because the freeway onramp by their house is enough to hone their skill. I love seeing the look in their eyes after their first session when they realize street racing is like 1/10th the intensity of circuit racing. They shut up real quick and start asking questions... which is a good thing. Gotta admit, I had a little of that in me. I thought I could drive until a 50 year old former professional race car driver proved to me I pretty much sucked!

Circuit racing give you humility.

Street racing inflates your ego.
I always wanted to try this but was afraid to try it. Did not want to wreck a car I had to pay for or have some dick head like the ones you spoke of wreck me. I still may consider one day but want to take a class before attempting. I always assumed i am a good driver and know my limitations which have kept me safe. I actually wrecked a couple of RX-7's in my younger days so it calmed me down considerably.
Appreciate 0